Tuesday, April 13, 2010

32 Progress - QC Champ Rear






I love quick change rear ends and I have always wanted to fit one in my roadster. But I like the early style with a transverse spring and to fit a quick change it all comes at a price.
The opportunity to get a Champ style rear end came up but I didnt like the large webbed alloy side housings. So it was back to the earlier style V8 quick change using an early Ford diff as the basis.
I weighed up the options:

The period but smaller V8 QC I felt looked too small for the back of the car.
I would need to get all the internals new and then get it machined to accept modern axles.

Back to the champ - I didnt like the adaptor rings to run side axle housings so I wondered how we could get something done that looks like an early ford style. The champ is a 31 spline Detroit Locker unit and would need side housings and axles.

Phil Game at PG Hydraulics - world famous in NZ sprint car and modified racer had the Champ and was intrigued to come up with something that fitted my narrow parameters of style. We did a deal - I now owe him a bunch of labour on his trick Model A Tudor!

The result is better than I imagined and PG was brilliant to deal with, and set out to do the very best work possible.

We established that we could make new side bells and then weld the tapered housing on to this and currently its ready to mount in the car and then the axle ends can be welded on.

The attention to detail is awesome and it looks old but is slightly newer if you know what I mean. Proportionately it all works well where as the webbed side bells give too much of a bulky look to the centre section.

At the end of the day it depends on what you are looking for but if you want something like this contact Phil Game at PG Hydraulics.

No comments:

Post a Comment