Tuesday, October 27, 2009

My '32 Ford Roadster






When I was 11 years old - back in 1991, I remember going for a ride in the late Pete Dore '32 "HIBOY" roadster. I said then that one day I would own that car. Well, Troy Weeks liked it as much as I did and he bought it and still owns the car albeit in a different guise now. So the next best thing for me was to build my own. I also really liked the orange roadster of Dennis Kyle so my stance and component choice was based on that whilst the yellow influence is Dore.
The roadsters of Lobeck, Chapouris and Brizio are also influential too.
Just this year I made a start on the frame and just recently scored a body. I have been collecting parts for a while from the finned Buick drums all round to the Moon tank and a couple of sets of wheels and tyres. Steve and Sue Keys ordered me a Limeworks column and wheel in exchange for some work on their '32 Tudor that they are building.
Dennis Kyle has been brilliant to deal with and is flattered that I like his car so much. The late Pete Dore was something of a legend to me as his cars always stood out for their trad styling but he also had a workshop next to my Dad's so I hung out there alot.
From the top is the renowned Limefire of Pete Chapouris - built in 79 days as a B&M project just after Pete and Jake had sold Pete & Jake Hot Rod Parts.

The two orange shots are Dennis & Debbie Kyle's car from Long Beach, California. Whats there not to like about this car with its multiple sets of wheels and tyres, moon tank, quick disconnect head lights, louvres, Greek style pinstriping, Bell wheel, Hurst shifter, 5" axle and a Halibrand diff.

The two yellow shots are the roadster of the late Pete Dore of East Bay Rods in Auckland New Zealand. Pete told me that it was the roadsters of Gary Kessler and Phil Cool that influenced this car.

No comments:

Post a Comment